“Against Nuclear Arms” Exhibition
1. The Permanent Mission of Kazakhstan to the UN and the Permanent Mission of Japan to the UN jointly organized an exhibition entitled “Against Nuclear Arms” in the United Nations Visitors' Lobby from August 10th until September 30th, 2009. The Exhibition's opening ceremony commenced on August 10 th also in the UN Visitors' Lobby.
2. As part of our ongoing efforts for nuclear disarmament and nonproliferation, and in view of next year's Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, the Missions of Japan and Kazakhstan are co-organizing this exhibit, which also commemorates the 20 th anniversary of Kazakhstan's decision to stop nuclear experiments at the Semipalatinsk Nuclear Polygon (Test Site).
3. As the only country ever to suffer atomic attacks, Japan continues to strive for nuclear disarmament and nonproliferation, presenting yearly resolutions to the UN General Assembly for elimination of all nuclear weapons. Kazakhstan is the only country in the world which amidst the Cold War's nuclear arms race had to endure 40-year long nuclear experiments without regard for the health of thousands of victimized people and the environment, thus having absolute historical and moral right to act alongside Japan as recognized leaders for a nuclear-free world movement. The Missions of Japan and Kazakhstan, united despite of their geographical distance with common suffering from nuclear devastation, hope that this Exhibit will encourage continuous worldwide effort towards nuclear disarmament and global security.
1. Date: August 10 th - September 30 th , 2009
2. Location: the United Nations Visitors' Lobby
Co-organizers: The Permanent Mission of Japan to the United Nations
The Permanent Mission of Kazakhstan to the United Nations
Partners: Hiroshima City, Nagasaki City, Semey City
In cooperation with: Hiroshima International Council for Health Care of the Radiation-Exposed (HICARE), National Nuclear Center and Central State Archive of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Ms. Jane Conrad, PR Coordinator, Permanent Mission of Japan to the United Nations
Jane-Conrad@un-japan.org ph: (212) 521-1565
Ms. Gauhar Abdygaliyeva, Adviser, Permanent Mission of Kazakhstan to the United Nations
firstname.lastname@example.org ph: (212) 230-1900 (ext 14)